Sunday, September 22, 2013

Producto de Saint John the Baptist

So it's been a while since I attended my last Catholic mass. But a good friend and I were talking recently and she told me why she enjoys her faith so much. She asked why I haven't been lately. She encouraged me to go, so I went ...earlier this morning, I just got back as a matter of fact.

It was a great service!

To be honest, my earliest memories of the church weren't the best. I remember a lot of uniforms in grade school (before I failed the 4th grade,) traditions, candles, stained-glass windows, fresco paintings and beautiful statues, but no explanation as to why we did this or that.

However, since I've been on this deployment, my perspective has changed quite a bit. Some of it stems from what I read in the news about the new pope and how he plans to change the image of Catholicism for the better, but a lot of it has come from two amazing people I've met here that have brought me closer to Christ than I could've ever imagined. This isn't an easy thing though. I know some people I've met see only the joy that my faith brings me and while that joy is what I'm truly seeking, it doesn't come easy. It takes discipline and sacrifice and it's those things that are not easy. My faith and trust in Him keeps me focused though and gives me the drive to want to do the right thing.

One thing my friend said that really stuck with me about why she loved the church so much was because of the prayers and saints.

I prayed the Rosary a few days ago. I don't remember the last time I did this, but I'm fairly certain that the last time I did it, I just went through the motions. When I did it again a few days ago though, I focused on the verses, sentences and words themselves with the hope that I could find deeper meaning and reflection. I broke down the "Our Father" and "Hail Mary." I analyzed them for meaning and metaphor like I did with so many speeches I analyzed while completing my undergraduate communication work.

In the end I found peace. However brief it was though, it was unmistakable peace. I'm so blessed to have been brought up in such a church.




No comments:

Post a Comment